This Week's Puzzle
This assignment is due before 9 AM, Friday, December 1st, 2000.
- Puzzle solutions are due by 9:00 AM on Friday of each week.
- Puzzles are worth 5 points of extra credit each.
- Answers must be accompanied by valid reasoning. Just like the tests, the answer alone isn't enough!
- Each week, the first student to submit a correct answer will recieve the stylish
- Previous winners get a "virtual t-shirt." No shirt, but a chance to win a prize with actual value at the end of the semester (often a book, or maybe software).
- Please enter your solution in the text area at the bottom of this page. DON'T FORGET TO GIVE YOUR NAME!
"Ups and Downs"
This is a two week puzzle worth ten points, partial credit will be awarded. Happy Thanksgiving!
The figure shows a graph of the current in a series RLC circuit, I=Imaxcos(t). There are five points marked on the graph, labeled A, B, C, D, E. Please state at which point (or points) each of the following quantities are a maximum, a minimum, or zero:
- The energy stored in the inductor
- The voltage across the capacitor
- The power input to the capacitor
- The power output by the inductor
- The charge on the capacitor
- The voltage across the resistor
Don't forget to explain your answer as clearly as possible.
This site is made possible by funding from the National Science Foundation (DUE-9981111).
©2000 IUPUI, all rights reserved.
©2001 A. Gavrin and G. Novak, all rights reserved.